This course includes theory and practice in relation to the use of hoists to transfer people
Who Should Attend?
Having completed the Handling of People Induction programme, new staff whose role directly or indirectly involves the handling of people may attend this course to give more knowledge and experience.
Existing staff may also attend this course as part of their refresher programme - please reflect on handling experiences over the previous 6 months that may be problem solved during the session.
The aim of the course is to clarify how to use hoists with minimal risk of harm to the client and how to recognise slings that should not be used.
• Complete a short quiz
• Receive demonstrations using an active hoist and using a passive hoist
• Following instructions on a handling plan, be supervised using both type of hoists
• Experience what it feels like to be transferred by both types of hoist
• Practise handling techniques to insert hoist slings and to move mobile hoists
By the end of the session delegates will have:
• Recalled the acronym used to undertake a manual handling risk assessment (TILE/LITE)
• Recalled the 5 biomechanical principles of handling
• Discussed hoist inspections
• Critically reviewed manual handling techniques required to use a hoist in relation to the above
• Critically reviewed handling documentation
Please Note: Considering the practical element of the course, low-heeled shoes that support all of the foot and no tight clothing should be worn.
Managers should ensure that the staff they nominate are in a state of physical fitness commensurate with being able to undertake the practical elements of this course safely. If in doubt when nominating an individual or needing clarification about the state of physical fitness required undertaking the course safely, please discuss with the People Handling and Back Care Advisor prior to the course.
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.