Rights, Risks and activities in the care of people with dementia delivered by Dementia trainer Buz Loveday
This one-day course split over two consecutive days provides guidance on ways of working to uphold the rights of people with dementia and support them to be meaningfully occupied, while managing risk to ensure maximum benefits
Delegates must attend part 1 & 2 to complete the course
Who should attend?
Anyone with an understanding of dementia and person-centred care who is involved in the care or support of people with dementia in any setting
This course is a virtual course run via Zoom or Teams - joining instructions will be sent to via diary invite a week before the course date.
Please note, this course will have regular breaks for participants so please ensure you take yourself away from the screen. The course is aimed to be interactive.
The aim of the course is to enable you to work in a way that upholds rights, manages risk and promotes meaningful activity in your work with people with dementia. This will be achieved through an interactive session involving the use of powerpoint, video, various group activities and handouts to back up all the learning.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
• Understand a rights-based approach to the support of people with dementia and recognise their responsibilities under mental capacity legislation
• Be able to recognise signs of possible abuse, and know what steps to take
• Know how the physical environment may need to be altered or adapted to promote independence, orientation and safety and to avoid mistaken perceptions
• Understand how to manage risk to promote rights, benefits and safety from harm
• Know how to respond to a range of individual needs including sexual needs and relationships of people with dementia
• Know how to support people with dementia to be meaningfully occupied in doing things that address their interests and life histories, draw on their strengths and address their changing needs
• Be able to work in partnership with people with dementia to support them to meet their daily living needs and engage in occupations
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.