Supporting physical & Psychological health of people with dementia delivered by Dementia Trainer Buz Loveday
This one-day course split over two consecutive days provides guidance on how to support people with dementia with basic care needs, how to recognise common medical issues and how to enable people with dementia to experience good psychological well-being
Who should attend?
Anyone with an understanding of dementia and person-centred care who is involved in the care or support of people with dementia in any setting
This course is a virtual course run via Zoom or Teams - joining instructions will be sent to via diary invite a week before the course date.
Please note, this course will have regular breaks for participants so please ensure you take yourself away from the screen. The course is aimed to be interactive.
The aim of the course is to help you gain knowledge and confidence in supporting people with dementia to optimise their physical and psychological well-being. This will be achieved through an interactive session involving the use of powerpoint, video, various group activities and handouts to back up all the learning.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
• Recognise potential barriers to a person with dementia eating and drinking and know how to support nutrition and hydration
• Be aware of the risk of delirium, the ways delirium may present and steps that can be taken to prevent and treat delirium
• Understand the risk of depression in people with dementia
• Know how to recognise and manage pain in people with dementia
• Be able to support people with dementia with basic care needs such as washing, dressing and continence, in a way that also addresses psychological needs
• Understand the importance of monitoring the effects of medication taken by people with dementia
• Understand possible causes of stress and distress for people with dementia and know how to respond
• Be able to recognise and monitor signs of well-being and signs of ill-being shown by people with dementia
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.